The Eleventh Hour

Leon Cobb, Social Media Manger, Staff Writer

Armistice Day, Veterans Day, or Remembrance Day is a federal holiday honoring military veterans who served the United States military. We take this time to thank our loved ones and complete strangers for their service to our country.

World War I (1914-1918) was fought by so many brave soldiers from all over the United States as well as the world. After the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, the archduke of Austria-Hungary the world broke out into war. Over 30 nations involved themselves in the great war divided between the Allies and the Central Powers. The war was like nothing anybody had ever seen before- sending a shock through the countries and families mourning their loved ones. The war left more than 16 million dead- still, so many people chose to fight to protect their country.

The fighting of World War I ended with a truce on the 11th day of the 11th month during the 11th hour. Flags are to be flown at half-mast and it is tradition to observe a moment of silence at 11 am.

Here at Charyl Stockwell Preparatory Academy, we have our very own veteran, Mr. Lou Lacy. Mr. Lacy served in the navy during the Vietnam war. He served from 1971-74 as security on an aircraft carrier. Our students and staff are blessed to have Mr. Lacy as part of our community. He takes great pride in the beautification and safety of our school.

Please take a moment to thank a veteran today, hold a door open, or just say hello. The little things can mean a lot to somebody and you never know what some people have been through.